They are quite a pair, those salt and pepper shakers we all have in our kitchens or dining rooms. Sometimes salt and pepper shakers are beautiful crystal antiques, perhaps they are very kitsch, others are mostly utilitarian, and sometimes it is a large grinder that requires a little elbow grease to get the perfect seasoning. In my place, I just use the sea salt in the spice bottle from the market, and my pepper comes in a little bottle with a grinder on top, also supermarket bought. How terribly boring and wasteful, really. Ugly labels, they are not really refillable, and even if I recycle the bottles, it isn't an ideal situation. So I need to get myself a cute set of Salt & Pepper Shakers. I decided it was a good time to see what I could find on Etsy, so many great vintage picks and handmade or upcycled options. So I ran a search, and of course, came up with oodles of listings. Let me say, before I begin this post, that it is all about the images, I wanted to show you the ones that really stood out, for a variety of reason. Now remember, this is "Strange Stuff Saturday", so what is strange in today's post is my immediate reaction to the salt and pepper sets. I am going to show you a pile of great ways to spice up your kitchen, and give you my exact first reaction in a caption below the image. All the individual item Listing Details and Etsy shop links will appear at the bottom of this post, and while my comments might seem odd, or negative, they are in fact the very reason these shakers are fabulous. I don't want boring, I want funny, ironic, creepy, or just plain strange. Let's Shake Things Up!
Pardon my rather odd and extremely obscure sense of humor, but those were my exact thoughts on seeing these strange and wonderful shaker sets. It strikes me that these are almost all, if not entirely, vintage items. It makes you wonder, why is it we get such a kick from these bizarre kitschy items? Were they intended to be funny or is it just a matter of the esthetic at the time. I haven't seen nearly as many modern salt and pepper shakers that made me laugh as much as this random selection did. I could have gone on and on, there are so many more treasures to be found over on Etsy. Have a great weekend everyone, and next time you look at your own S&P shakers, think of Foraging For Fab!
- Vintage Pushup Salt and Pepper Shakers by Out Of The Pink Sky on Etsy.
- Vintage Westinghouse Washer and Dry Salt and Pepper Shakers by Random Voyeur Vintage on Etsy.
- Vintage Salt and Pepper Shakers Retro Holt Howard Grant Pixie PixieWare Elf by Magpie Antiques on Etsy.
- Holt Howard Lefton Bagel Donut Salt and Pepper Shakers Two Peppers holt howard strange crazy anthropomorphic by Retro Chalet on Etsy.
- vintage salt and pepper shakers - feet - Canada souvenir set by Forrestina Vintage on Etsy.
- Pair of Tombstone Salt And Pepper Shakers by Dusty Attic on Etsy
- Anthromorphic Mushrooms Salt and Pepper Shakers 1970s by Melony's Whimsy Daisy on Etsy.
- Vintage Dog and Fire Hydrant Salt and Pepper Shakers by Lady Ivy Vintage on Etsy
- Texaco Souvenir donkey Salt and Pepper Shakers by Chelles Treasure on Etsy.
- Weird and Wild - 1950s Vintage Rabbit Salt and Pepper Shakers - by Goodlookin' Vintage on Etsy.
- Vintage Pair of Nuts - Salt and Pepper Shakers - Nuts by Strange Vagaries on Etsy
- Vintage 70's squirrel salt and pepper shakers with wiggly eyes by Belle Epochalypse on Etsy.
- Vintage Garlic Head Anthropomorphic Salt and Pepper Shakers by Two Little Owls on Etsy.
- Set of Vintage Salt and Pepper Shakers Monk Plastic Hong Kong Japan by Ye Olde Antique Shoppe on Etsy,
- Vintage Salt Pepper Shakers 22k Gold Warranted China Porcelain Shaker Set by Carlea Pink on Etsy.
- Vintage Salt and Pepper Shakers, Clown Teapots by The Dish Dash Kitchen Company on Etsy.
- Vintage Salt & Pepper Shaker Set Plastic Rooster by Magnolia Vintage on Etsy.
- Vintage Salt and Pepper Shakers, Circus, Japan by Lulu's Five and Dime on Etsy.
- Vintage Black and White Pigs Salt and Pepper Shakers by Salt and Pepper Mania on Etsy.