Wednesday, January 11

Teeny Tiny Tuesdays - An Octopus's Garden

It's true what they say, it is the little things in life that make it worth living. Now, when people refer to the little things, I am pretty sure 'they' are speaking of the smiles, the moments of joy, the small wins. When I say little things, I mean something a little more... literal. I mean small, as in teeny tiny, itty bitty, teensy weensy, and miniature. Yes, I have always been a fan of the impossibly little and detailed things that make you celebrate your ability to see them. They are sometimes funny, often ironic, and certainly cute, but there is one thing you can be sure of, everyone has room for something tiny.
For instance, on my desk I have a little pocket mirror compact (some promotional item from a cosmetics store), and it sits open to reveal a miniature sized family of Pugs. A female, male and their two puppies. Yes I am close to forty years old, yes it is basically a toy, but you know what? It makes me happy. I see my little Pugs, not a one over an inch tall, and I smile. My current lifestyle doesn't accommodate owning a real dog, so these little Pugs remind me of something I love, something I aspire to have in my life in the future, and are just plain cute. That is the power of having something small around. It doesn't take up much space at all, it may be functional or fanciful, but it can really be special. Tuesdays are all about the power and joy of the little things..
In Kenora, Ontario, Canada there is an artist that shot to the top of my "Teeny Tiny Tuesday" To-Blog list the moment I saw this offering on Etsy. The hip kids call it up-cycling, it is basically recycling or re-purposing items, but adding a touch of fabulous in the process. It's just past the winter holiday season, and most people are about to pack away their holiday lights, but Adrianne Kinsella does something absolutely amazing with those old glass holiday lights that I just had to share. Adrianne turned little old burnt out light-bulbs into the ultimate in fab home decor by making what she calls "Lightcatchers and Birdhalts".
These adorable "3 Octopus with first tooth" Recycled Lightbulb works of art are available at Ms. Kinsella's Kissinglass Recycled Glass Shop on Etsy. The set of three have the most charming little Octopi that could be found, and include hand painting and sculpting work that make them truly one-of-a-kind. Beutiful, whimsical, and functional. Who could ask for anything more!
Adrianne describes this set as follows; "These recycled lightbulbs are dead Christmas lights measuring 2 inches in height and a half inches in width. The octopus are all about the size of my thumbnail. The lightbulbs have been coated with a translucent paint and will glow when the sun hits them. They can be hung in your window to detour birds and as light catchers to catch the light. The relief pattern, making up the octopus, has been painstakingly sculpted by hand and baked onto the glass." Coming it at less then $30.00 CAD/USD a set, they are also an affordable indulgence and would make a wonderful gift.
Head over to Kissinglass Recycled Glass on Etsy to see more of Adrianne Kinsella's work, and snag some tiny works of art to hang in the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback, Follow-Up, and Friendly Fire